While driving through Albuquerque, I noticed a sign for Petroglyph National Monument. With a little downtime in my schedule, I was excited to visit an extra 556 location and hike a few miles in the desert.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Boca Negra Canyon - a fully developed area, great for hiking, picnics and easy views of petroglyphs.
- Mesa Point Trail - a short trail in the Boca Negra Canyon area.
- Piedras Marcadas Canyon - This short 1.5 mile trail allows you to see nearly 400 petroglyphs.
- Rinconada Canyon Trail - this 2.2 mile trail allows for up to 300 petroglyph sightings.
- Volcanoes Day Use Area - offers multiple short trails, varying in difficulty. Plus, as the name suggests, there are volcanoes :)
What are you favorite hikes and places to explore in Albuquerque's Petroglyph National Monument?