Most of my time in Nebraska National Forest was in the Pine Ridge Ranger District near Chadron, Nebraska. With over 80 miles of trails in this district alone, I found plenty of miles to occupy my time.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Black Hills Overlook - accessible from the Outrider Trailhead, 1.5 miles each way.
- Pine Ridge National Recreation Area - the main access point to this 6,600 acre area is at Roberts Trailhead.
- Pine Ridge Trail - the forest service is working on a new trail, linking the entire Pine Ridge Trail system from West Ash Creek to Spotted Tail.
- Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway - Highway 2 passes Nebraska National Forest at Halsey and heads north toward Pine Ridge.
- Soldier Creek Wilderness - provides habitat for various wildlife, including bald eagles, bobcats and elk.
Tell me all about your favorite hikes and places to explore, in the comments below!