I arrived 90 minutes before sunset and covered the recommended driving tour to choose a location for photographing the changing colors in the sky. Naturally, I ended up where I started :)
- Gambrill Mill - a half mile loop offering scenic views of the Monocacy River with a portion of the trail being wheelchair accessible.
- Ford Loop - this 1.6 mile loop also provides scenic views of the Monocacy River along with interpretations of significant events from the Battle of Monocacy.
- Brooks Hill Loop - a 1.9 scenic nature trail with a steep climb up the first hill.
- Thomas Farm Loop - this trail also offers interpretations of key events from the Battle of Monocacy.
- Middle Ford Ferry Loop - a half mile loop with landscape and Monocacy River views, showing the early settlement of the Monocacy Region.
Exploring the battlefield by car is another great option. A self-guided auto tour provides stops at five locations from the Battle of Monocacy.
- Best Farm
- Monocacy Junction
- Worthington Farm
- Thomas Farm
- Gambrill Mill
I highly recommend driving to each location, using the auto tour, and stretching out your legs on a few of the short and scenic trails along the way!