Driving through Northern California, I was unsure what to expect upon arriving at Lassen Volcanic National Park. This was my first view, walking up to the edge of Manzanita Lake. Smoke from nearby wildfires drifted in throughout my stay and kept hiking mileage to a minimum.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Devils Kitchen Trail - a little over four miles, this moderate hike goes by mudpots, streams, two lakes and, of course, through the Devils Kitchen hydrothermal area.
- Lassen Peak Trail - this strenuous, five mile trail to the summit will take between four and five hours to complete.
- Lassen Volcanic National Park Highway - a beautiful, diverse 30-mile road through the park.
- Mill Creek Falls Trail - another moderate trail, a little over 3 miles in length, sits at a lower elevation and is easily accessible. A beautiful waterfall is visible during the spring and summer months.
- Stargazing - the sky is dark and the Milky Way is visible from this open, beautiful park. There are Dark Sky Festivals during the summer.
Have you ever been to Lassen Volcanic National Park?