Smoke filled the air from nearby wildfires as I drove through Lassen National Forest. California was dry and burning in many areas during this road trip. Unfortunately, I have asthma, limiting my hiking in the smokiest stops (including this one).
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Dow Butte Lookout - formerly a fire lookout, this area is now open to the public.
- Hat Creek Rim Overlook - this overlook offers beautiful views of the Hat Creek Valley. There's also easy access to the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Heart Lake Trail - this three mile hike rewards you with a mountain lake, after hiking along South Digger Creek.
- Spencer Meadow - a six mile trail providing access to Spencer Meadow. Also a National Recreation Trail.
- Subway Cave - this lava tube allows for underground exploring on a short, 1/3 mile long trail.
What are your favorite hikes and places to explore in Lassen National Forest?