I love making lists, writing in journals and often day dream about places I want to visit and explore one day. Over the years, I have actively written in two photography journals - a travel journal and a travel bucket list.
Travel Journal Tips
Whether you are a photographer, traveler, or simply someone who pops into new places now and again, I highly encourage keeping a journal from your trips. You never know when you might return and need a little reminder of great finds from years prior :) My travel journal helps me remember the amazing hikes, views and side roads from recent (and distant!) travels.
Below are a few items you may consider recording:
- Dates/Season visited and any weather or variations in experience related to that time of year
- Locations to remember - pullouts with scenic views, roads traveled, landmarks
- Hikes - great trails you explored, ones recommended for your next visit
- Lodging and campsites
- Restaurants and local markets
- Stories from your travels and experiences
- Names of people you met along the way
- Notes on wildlife and vegetation
- Cautious reminders for a return visit, possibly related to weather conditions or wildlife encouters
I have mostly use my travel journal for short notes. I would like to get into a habit of keeping a diary of my travels and experiences while in certain places and moments. I retain many of the memories quite well, but trust that may change one day!
Travel Bucket List Tips
My travel bucket list keeps me excited and motivated to drive, fly and sometimes walk to new places! When I first started my travel bucket list, it was quite general and mostly listed countries or cities to visit. Now that I have been traveling more and more, my journal is quite specific with some items narrowed down to a specific location within a hike!
Below are a few recommendations for organizing a travel bucket list:
- Set aside a page or two for each state/country/city (depending on your focus)
- Consider dividing your entries by region, if necessary
- Name specific locations, restaurants, landmarks, etc.
- Gather GPS coordinates if you plan to backpack into a location, on or off a trail
- Note seasons that are optimal for the desired visit, hikes and/or photograph being captured
- Highlight/Note destinations that are particular to a season using different colors to easily plan for upcoming trips
- Include websites or other resources that may help with trip planning
Do you have questions or suggestions about keeping a travel journal or two? If so, I would love to hear from you!