Challis National Forest is where I hit most of the snow during my Idaho national forest loop. Would love to get back for a warmer fall day, with fewer snow flurries!
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Franck Church River of No Return Wilderness - quite the name! Filled with rugged mountains, canyons and whitewater rivers.
- Little Bayhorse Trail - a quick one mile hike around Little Bayhorse Lake.
- Peaks to Craters Scenic Byway - over 140 miles through diverse Idaho landscape, including mountain peaks, lava flows and ghost towns.
- Upper Vanity Lakes - a moderate 2.1 mile trail, out and back, to four small lakes in the Frank Church Wilderness.
- West Fork Lakes Trail - a 1.4 mile hike to West Fork Lakes.
What are your favorite places in Challis National Forest?