While fleeing a large snow storm in northern Arizona, I did a bit of National Monument hopping. Wupatki National Monument was stop number one. Due to preservation efforts, some hikes are guided and limited to small groups.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Citadel and Nalakihu Pueblos – a somewhat steep quarter mile trail takes you to both pueblos. The view from the Citadel is stunning!
- Crack-in-Rock Hike – this hike is through a lottery system, offered during weekends in April and October. Taking on this 16 mile, strenuous overnight hike is on my bucket list!
- Wukoki Pueblo – an easy half mile hike takes you to this pueblo, frequented by wildlife.
- Lomaki and Box Canyon Pueblos – an easy half mile hike to a pair of pueblos overlooking small canyons.
- Wupatki Pueblo – the largest pueblo in the park with nearly 100 rooms. The half mile trail begins behind the visitor center.
Have you been to Wupatki National Monument? Tell me all about your favorite places to explore in the comments below!