William B Bankhead National Forest was just starting to pop with color during my early October visit. This national forest has two of my favorite things to explore: waterfalls and a large wilderness area.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Bee Branch Trail – enjoy waterfalls and beautiful forest views during this 11.4 mile hike.
- Caney Creek Falls – a 2.75 mile round-trip hike to the stunning Caney Creek waterfalls. The starting point is on an old closed road off Winston County Road 2.
- Clear Creek Recreation Area – located on Lewis Smith Lake with access to water and multiple camping locations.
- Little Natural Bridge – a short paved trail takes you to a natural bridge within the forest.
- Sipsey River Trail – a moderate 10.1 mile hike in the Sipsey Wilderness Area, along the Sipsey River.
Tell me all about your favorite hikes and places to explore in the comments below!