Tahoe National Forest was a lovely precursor to arriving in Lake Tahoe, California. The sky was mostly covered in wildfire smoke, creating a white backdrop as I drove between the large pines.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Boca Historic Townsite – an interpretive trail takes you through the once historic town.
- Calpine Lookout – a restored lookout station, available for rent, offers a unique overnight stay in the national forest.
- Frazier Falls – an easy half mile hike (each way) takes you over a wooden bridge, above a creek, to a peaceful view of the 176 foot falls.
- Highway 49 – this scenic road takes you along the North Yuba River and many quaint gold rush towns.
- Placer Big Trees – a grove of Giant Sequoias overlooking the Middle Fork American River.
What are some of your favorite spots in Tahoe National Forest?