Eminent snow pushed me away from this amazing place a bit sooner than I would have liked. Definitely heading back in the near future for a bit more exploring around the dormant volcano and lava remnants.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Aa Flow Trail – this short quarter mile trail takes you through the lava flow area. A new favorite!
- Cinder Hills Overlook – a quick drive to this overlook provides a fantastic view of Sunset Crater Volcano.
- Lava Flow Trail – an easy one mile hike at the base of Sunset Crater Volcano.
- Lenox Crater Trail – a steep one mile hike to the top of a volcano.
- O’Leary Peak Trail – the strenuous seven mile Forest Service trail takes you to the summit of this lava dome volcano.
Tell me all about your favorite places to explore in Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument in the comments below!