Talk about aspen heaven! If you are in the Santa Fe area during early October, I highly recommend exploring Santa Fe National Forest in New Mexico. The colors, light and blue skies are amazing.
I was grinning from ear to ear my entire visit :)
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Aspen Vista Picnic Site – step out of your car into aspen goodness! The picnic tables are perfect for a relaxing meal. Also serves as a trail head for Tesuque Peak and Alamo Vista Trail.
- Holy Ghost Trail – a 3.3 mile hike filled with colorful trees or wildflowers, depending on the season.
- Jemez Falls – a short half mile hike to Jemez Falls, the tallest waterfall in the Jemez Mountains.
- Jemez Mountain Trail Scenic Byway – the scenic byway covers 163 miles, with approximately 65 miles in the national forest. Enjoy cliff dwellings, small mining towns and endless beautiful views.
- Santa Fe National Forest Scenic Byway – a glorious, aspen filled 16 miles of highway starting in historic downtown Santa Fe, ending at the Santa Fe Ski Area.
What are you favorite hikes and places to explore in Santa Fe National Forest?