The San Juan National Forest is at the top of my must visit list, especially during fall. Covering over 1.8 million acres of land in southwestern Colorado, there’s plenty of goodness to enjoy.
On another note, Durango (my favorite mountain town) is located within this amazing national forest. All the more reason to stop in and stay awhile :)
Favorite Hikes + Places to Explore
- 14,000 Feet and Above – several mountain peaks fall into the 14’ers category. For a full list, click here.
- Durango – my favorite mountain town :) Always worth a visit and overnight stay if you find yourself in the area. Other great towns include Telluride, Ouray and Silverton.
- Hiking – the Dolores and Columbine Ranger Districts are my most visited areas for hiking. My list of favorites is far too long to share!
- San Juan Skyway – SO much goodness on this 232 mile scenic byway loop. I try to drive this at least once a year.
- South San Juan Wilderness – includes portions of the southeastern San Juan Mountain range and the Continental Divide.
What are some of your favorite spots in San Juan National Forest?