Palo Duro Canyon State Park was a last minute addition to an around the country road trip. When a college friend heard I was planning to spend time in Texas, he immediately suggested stopping by for a few hikes. And so I did :)
Be sure to keep an eye on the river crossing over the park road. Flash floods are common in the park when weather strikes.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Juniper Cliffside Trail – just shy of six miles, round-trip, this hike offers great views of water carved cliff sides.
- Juniper Riverside Trail – colorful rock formations may be seen while you walk along the river on this 2.25 mile trail.
- Light House Trail – a 5.5 mile trail to the iconic Lighthouse Rock formation. The most popular trail within the park.
- Pioneer Nature Trail – an easy half mile trail filled with reptiles who enjoy tagging along.
- Rylander Fortress Cliff – a relatively easy 7.5 mile trail along the rim of the canyon, offering stunning views below.
What are your favorite hikes and places to explore in Palo Duro Canyon State Park?