Driving through Nantahala National Forest offered my first views of turning leaves and fall foliage. Red trees were popping between the green pines and leaves. I must admit, excitement was in the air as I drove through :)
Favorite Hikes + Places to Explore
- Bridal Veil Falls – a 120 foot waterfall, 1.2 miles west of Highlands.
- Cliffside Lake Recreation Area – has six short hiking trails with some leading to waterfalls.
- Cullasaja Gorge – 7.5 miles of the Mountain Waters Scenic Byway, parallel to the Cullasaja River.
- Dry Falls – a 75 foot waterfall offering a beautiful view of the river.
- Mountain Waters Scenic Byway – this beautiful drive takes you through two river gorges, hardwood forests and the beautiful countryside.
- Rufus Morgan Trail – located in the Wayah Ranger District, this one mile loop takes you to a cove forest.
- Van Hook Glade – a campground located in the Cullasaja Gorge.
Have you made your way to Nantahala National Forest? I would love to hear your recommendations for my next visit!