Similar to other national park units with caves on this trip, I skipped the underground adventures in Jewel Cave National Monument. Maybe another day. They are, however, at the top of my list for folks who love stepping below the ground you walked in on!
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Cave Tours – choose between the Scenic Tour, Historic Lantern Tour, Discovery Talk or a Wild Caving Tour.
- Canyons Trail – a 3.5 mile rough trail, each way. Takes you into Lithograph Canyon and Hell Canyon.
- Hell Canyon Trail – a 5.5 mile moderate trail, through Jewel Cave National Monument and Black Hills National Forest. Views of limestone cliffs and Hell Canyon are along the way.
- Historic Area – open only during summer months, get a glimpse of the original ranger station.
- Roof Trail – easy quarter mile trail with canyon and forest overlooks.
Tell me all about your favorite experiences from Jewel Cave National Monument in the comments below!