While making my way from Charleston to Columbia (South Carolina), I took a bit of a detour through Francis Marion National Forest. The swamps and marshes were the biggest attraction to me, even with all the flying, some biting, visitors.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Awendaw Passage – this seven mile trail stretches the cross-state Palmetto Trail to the Intracoastal Waterway.
- Little Wambaw Swamp Wilderness – with no formal hiking trails, this wilderness is perfect for exploring with fresh eyes. Wild orchids also grow here.
- Sewee Shell Ring Interpretive Trail – a one mile self-guided interpretive trail offers close views of areas transformed by Hurricane Hugo.
- South Tibwin Hiking Trail – a diverse, beautiful hike through hardwood bottomlands, pine uplands, tidal marsh, freshwater ponds and wetlands.
- Swamp Fox Passage Trail – this 47.2 mile hike is the longest section of the cross-state Palmetto Trail.
What are some of your favorite spots in Francis Marion National Forest?