Let’s start here: I am OBSESSED with Spanish moss. The trees throughout Fort Frederica National Monument were absolutely stunning. I spent hours walking beneath them, along the water and open grounds. Consider me excited to revisit coastal Georgia later this year.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Archaeological Site – self guided tours are welcome year round.
- Bloody Marsh Unit – located on St. Simon’s Island at the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh.
- Museum Area – see artifacts on display, found in and around the designated park area.
- Townsite – the townsite is open for walking around and exploring the old roads. There are no formal trails, simply soft grass paths from previous patrons.
- Key point of interest also include King’s Magazine, Soldier’s Barracks, Northeast Bastion and walking along the Frederica River.
Have you every been to Fort Frederica National Monument?