Effigy Mounds National Monument was my official welcome to Iowa, after crossing the Mississippi River from Wisconsin. This was also my first time in Iowa, one of the two final continental United States left to visit.
Walking along the boardwalk through the Yellow River wetlands was a lovely way to stretch out after some serious miles on the road.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Fire Point Trail – two mile hike takes you by Little Bear Mound, conical mounds and compound mounds. The views of the river are fantastic.
- Founders Pond Overlook and Nezekaw Point Overlook – hiking to both overlooks is approximately 2 miles round trip.
- Hanging Rock Trail – this 7 mile round trip hike takes you past the Great Bear Mound, river overlooks and beautiful tallgrass prairie.
- Marching Bear Group – a 4 mile round trip hike explores ten bear mounds and three bird mounds.
- Yellow River Bridge Boardwalk Trail – a peaceful one mile trail through the wetlands.
Tell me all about your favorite spots in the comments below!