My first visit to Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve was quite a few years back, in my early twenties. Seems like a lifetime ago!
This unique, stunning park is well worth a visit. I truly hope to make it back during winter, maybe with a little snow on the ground adding even more contrast to the landscape.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Cave Area – grab a permit and explore one (or all) of the five caves.
- Inferno Cone – a STEEP half mile trail (each way) to the top of the Inferno Cone. My favorite in the park!
- North Crater Flow Trail – less than half a mile, this trail takes you onto the North Crater Flow area.
- North Crater Trail – a 3.5 mile trail (one way), taking you over North Crater, into the crater mouth and onto Big Craters and Spatter Cones.
- Tree Molds Trail – a two mile trail with unique views of tree imprints in the now hard lava rock.
Tell me all about your favorite spots in the park, in the comments below!