While heading south, I made my first official visit to Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee. There’s so much lake, river and mountain goodness to explore!
Recommended Hikes and Destinations
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail – there’s over 150 miles of the AT through the national forest. Quick hikes include Trail #1 on Roan Mountain and a 1/2 mile section located at TN-91 and Cross Mountain Road, offering views of Shady Valley.
- Indian Boundary Lake – Trail #129; a 3.1 mile loop.
- Iron Mountain Zone – rugged mountain region with plenty of solitude. The Osborne Farm is also a great destination.
- Rhododendron Trail #332 – a 1.6 mile, one way, hike along the Oconee River.
- Watauga Point Recreation Area – a beautiful park setting with ample picnic tables for a quick or extended stop.
With over 600 miles of trails available, there are ample options for day hiking within the national forest. Click here for additional information.
Have you made your way to Cherokee National Forest? I would love to hear about your favorite hiking trails and seasons for traveling to the area!