Carson National Forest was filled with beautiful aspens, great hikes and awesome little mountain towns. Next time, an overnight stay in Red River is a must!
Also, an active alert of “Bears are stressed. Be alert!” was slightly alarming. Thankfully, there were no encounters with stressed out bears.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Devisadero Loop Trail – a 5.1 mile trail, perfect for viewing summer wildflowers.
- Enchanted Circle Loop – An 83 mile scenic drive circling through Taos, Questa, Red River, Elizabethtown, Eagle Nest and Angel Fire. I was definitely enchanted!
- Red River – an awesome mountain town worth exploring on foot, especially during fall.
- Rim Vista Trail – a 2.7 mile hike offering an incredible view of the Chama River Canyon Wilderness.
- US Hwy 64 – noted as one of the most beautiful highways in the United States. The route is between Tres Piedras and Tiera Amarilla.
Tell me all about your favorite hikes and places to explore in Carson National Forest in the comments below!