After many instances of being in the area and never making my way to this national park unit, I finally set aside a few hours to stop in. The Carl Sandburg Home National Historic Site is located in North Carolina, outside Asheville. The home, grounds and surrounding area are lovely.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Big Glassy Mountain Trail – a 4.6 mile hike to Glassy Mountain. Deemed moderate, except for the more strenuous hike to the summit.
- Front Lake Loop – a scenic .4 mile hike around Front Lake. A beautiful option while making your way to the Sandburg Home and/or Goat Barn.
- Little Glassy Mountain Trail – a short half mile hike, taking you over the summit of Little Glassy Mountain.
- Memminger Trail Loop – just shy of a full mile, this hike takes you around Little Glassy Mountain.
- Sandburg Home Tour – the home is open for tours each day of the year, except for a few holidays. A small fee is required.
Tell me all about your favorite spots to visit in the comments below!