Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge was on my list of places to explore for a few years. In 2014, I found myself in the area for a quick visit.
Although I was a few months off prime time migration season, driving around and seeing a few birds here and there was quite enjoyable. November to mid-February is the best time for large bird migrations.
And yes, I do stray from my 556 in 12 locations from time to time ;)
Favorite Hikes + Places to Explore
- Auto Tour Loop – a lovely drive through the refuge, offering access to wetlands, scenic views and hiking trails.
- Canyon National Recreation Trail – this 2.2 mile hike goes through the Chihuahuan desert and into Solitude Canyon. Enjoy the deep ravine, carved into sandstone.
- Lagoon Trail – a 4.2 mile hike offering the best opportunity to see great blue herons and turtles.
- Marsh Overlook Trail – an easy 1.5 mile trail providing access to a seasonally flooded wetland.
- Rio Viejo Trail – a 1.7 mile trail through a cottonwood forest.
I would love to hear about your favorite spots!