Boise National Forest was my final stop during an extended national forest loop in Idaho. I drove through lush forests, saw the tallest snow measuring sticks in my life and encountered areas devastated by wildfires. A diverse and beautiful experience.
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Payette River – beautiful beaches and serious rapids are available in the South Fork and Main Payette River.
- Pine Flats Hot Springs – a short quarter mile trail from the Pine Flats Campground takes you to natural springs.
- Ponderosa Pine Scenic Byway – a 131 mile drive through forest packed landscapes and stunning river views. Commonly closed during winter due to avalanche conditions.
- Shafer Butte – a beautiful mountain getaway from the desert below.
- Trinity Mountain Recreation Area – the highest point in Idaho, accessible by car, featuring lakes, campgrounds and rustic cabins.
What are your favorite places and hikes in Boise National Forest?