Bienville National Forest was a stop and smell the flowers type of visit for me. After a long day on the road, walking through the trees and stretching my legs during the late afternoon was relaxing and refreshing.
Favorite Hikes + Places to Explore
- Beaver Lake – great for fishing and boating.
- Harrell Prairie – a lovely botanical viewing area with 160 acres of tall grass.
- Marathon Lake Recreation Area – a recently renovated campground with modern amenities and access to the lake.
- Shockaloe Horse Trail – a 23 mile trail through the forest, open to both horseback and hiking. This trail is known for wildlife viewing.
- Shongelo Lake – open from May to September, perfect for a picnic or day hike.
Have you been to Bienville National Forest? I would love to hear all about your trip in the comments below!