Over a decade went by between visits to Badlands National Park. I knew my arrival would be greeted with wonder, fresh eyes and amazement. During my first evening and morning in the park, storms were rolling in and out. The dynamic blue sky served as a stunning contrast to the badlands and areas with green grass and vegetation.
There’s no way I will wait another ten years before my next visit!
Top Five Hikes + Places to Explore
- Badlands Loop Road – driving through the entire park on the loop road is a great way to see diverse badlands, stunning overlooks and enjoy short hikes.
- Big Badlands Overlook – my number one spot for sunrise.
- Castle Trail – a moderate, 10 mile hike passing through badlands formations.
- Saddle Pass – a short, strenuous quarter mile trail climbs up Badlands Wall offering a vantage point above the White River Valley.
- Yellow Mounds – the colors in this region are absolutely breathtaking.
Tell me all about your favorite hikes and places to explore, in the comments below!