My first few hours in Texas were all about national forest hopping. And it was lovely :) Angelina National Forest was stop number two with even more water and a few tempting dirt roads.
Favorite Hikes + Places to Explore
- Bouton Lake Recreation Area – a 12-acre natural lake, near the Neches River.
- Boykin Springs Recreation Area – a 9-acre man-made lake with camping, fishing, swimming, canoeing and picnic areas. Long leaf pines fill the area.
- Sam Rayburn Reservoir – a large lake on the Angelina River located in the middle of the national forest. Great for fishing, boating and water skiing.
- Sawmill Hiking Trail – a 5.5 mile trail between Bouton Lake and Boykin Springs. There’s also a short (3/4 mile) spur to the abandoned Aldridge Sawmill site.
- Turkey Hill Wilderness – the forest is dense with hardwoods and pines. Access to Turkey Hill.
What are some of your favorite spots in Angelina National Forest?