Talk about being on the edge of the United States, mostly alone! I spent nearly three hours exploring Amistad National Recreation Area. Aside from the park ranger at the visitor center and border patrol officers, there wasn’t a soul in sight the entire time. Peeking at Mexico, across the Pecos River, was a fun highlight from my visit.
Favorite Hikes + Places to Explore
- Diablo East Area – enjoy a short interpretive trail with amazing views of Lake Amistad.
- Figueroa Trail – a series of longer trails, located at the Figueroa Ranch.
- Lower Pecos River – take a peek at Mexico :)
- Native American Rock Art – see pictographs more than 4,000 years old! Panther Cave is accessible by boat and guided walking cave tours are also available.
- Seminole Canyon State Park – pictographs, cave dwellings and hiking opportunities.
- Sunrise Trail – a 2.1 mile trail between the visitors center and Spur 454.
What are some of your favorite spots in the Amistad National Recreation Area?